3/31/2009

jump + ?

NTNU CCRS
I like the way it counts the frequency about the collocation. That way I can easily know what word appears most with the target word. And because this is also a corpus, the way people use the target word can be easily find out, too. In addition, the interface of this corpus is easy to use and this is quiet important for language learners. Unfortunately, I can not see the whole context of each datum (there is no link on each datum).

Tango Verb-Noun Collocation
The interface is also very easy and clear, but I think it is quiet hard for beginner to use because they need to know what are VN, VNP, VPN.... first. But for advanced learners, they can find out what they need quickly. For me, I think it is ok to use it. And as I use it, I learn new phrase now :D

In my opinion, it is hard to tell whether a corpus or a dictionary is better because I'll use them both to help me improve my English. If I need to know the definition of a word, I just look it up in a dictionary, and then I can use collocation corpus to help me go further learning more about how to use that word.

The difficulty I face is to analyze the data I get from corpus. For example, the assignment last time is using corpus to make difference between the words "big" and "large." Although I read my data for many times, I still can't tell and generalize them. But after Sally's explaining, I think I can try some words next time and maybe I will progress a lot!

2 comments:

  1. We are introduced to many great tools to help us with learning in Sally's class. That's great ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generating rules at the very first time could be very difficult. More practice will help. Right, it's hard to tell if a dictionary or a corpus-based tool is better. I guess these two really complement each other well, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete