3/10/2009

Feedback for this week- DICTIONARY

This week we talked about dictionaries. Although I've been an English major student for many years, I still got poor idea and knowledge of dictionaries. I know as an English learner, I need to use dictionary more, especially the paper ones. But I am really a very lazy girl that I'd rather choose on-line dictionary to save my time. As a result, I can not prove my English well by the help of dictionaries. Once I got a chance to get closer to my English-English dictionary; that was when I was preparing for my transfer examination. My teacher ask us all to use Collins CoBuild as more times as we can. He said, "The one who use this dictionary more often, he or she will get more chance to enter top school." I was encouraged a lot; thus, I use that book almost every time when I face English(whatever writing homework or reading novels). Using that dictionary did really help me a lot, my English obviously become better than before at that time. Unfortunately, after I entered NTUST, I quit this good habit and I really feel sorry for this thing. I know I really need to pick it up again one day, asap, and after this class I am sure that I will!

In this week's class I knew a variety of dictionaries that I've never seen before. I tried all the links on teacher's board and here's my comment:

1. I prefer the Tech Terms Distionary because nowadays we live in such "tech" world and we will face a lot of vocabularies about computer science. This dictionary can help us get a clear idea soon after you press the enter button.

2. As for learners dictionaries (paper ones), I still like my own "Collins CoBuild" because it did help me a lot. By using a limited amount of words, I can learn more new words. And for the on-line ones, I like Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary better because I prefer the setting.

3. Dictionary.com is a cool website! Because it can not only offer you the on-line dictionary, but also you can practice your English on the website. I played the crossword puzzle but it was kind difficult for me @"@; however, it was still interesting for me to guess those words!!

4. I think OneLook Dictionary Search is also cool because when you look up a new word, it will not only tell you the meaning about one field but also you can know what the word mean in other field. It is really helpful and can gain English vocabularies I believe.

5. The most impressive one: Merriam-Webster's New Online Visual Dictionary! I love picture dictionary a lot! The pictures in this on-line dictionary are nice and I really like them. I can learn a variety of word through those lovely pictures and I am sure as long as I have time, I will try all those themes.

And now I'm going to add my favorite dictionaries into my BLOG !!

4 comments:

  1. wow, you make a really clear commons on each dictionaries and on-line dictionaries as well. Also I like the online visual Dictionary! It is even entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for your regret, that makes sense to me. I used to be a good student in two-year junior college, but after entering NTUST, I totally slacked off. maybe we can cheer up each other and hope one day we can regain our good habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful comment, Peggy.
    Do you know that the lastest Collins Cobuild (2006) has a CD version? I have it insalled in my computer and is the one i use often. Yes, it's indeed a very good one and you should use it as often as you could. Get your old habbit back, if you could.

    ReplyDelete