3/17/2009

A Big Car Or A Large Class?

What is the difference between big and large? After learning English for so many years, I can't image that I've never thought this question before and I was surprised that I can't answer this question from my experiences.

Fortunately, we have one thing called concordancer. I use both VLC Concordancer and NTNU Web Concordancer to search and analyze the difference between these two words.

Here I got some conclusion:
1. Large is mostly used to describe the quantity of things or something we call "invisible."
ex. a large chunk of Andorra / the only large brand

2. Big is mostly used to describe things which are more visible.
ex. a big city / the big guns

Beside this, I hardly to find other differences @"@ I'm now sinking in the "big and large" pond~~~~~~

It's time to go to other people's blog to check more details about this question!

2 comments:

  1. Large can also be used to describe concrte thing, as in the example "a large city"

    well, good try , are there any rules?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After our class discussion, i'm sure you now know the differences already.

    ReplyDelete